Why does my internet supplier need to drill at my property?

Why does my internet supplier need to drill at my property?

If a particular supplier’s infrastructure has not been set up at a property before they may need to drill an access hole through which they will run cable. If you are not the property owner you will need to confirm their permission for this before the installation can go ahead.

Openreach and Virgin Media

If you are in an area supplied by Virgin Media or the Openreach network, but no one at the address has used that particular service before, an installation will be needed. The supplier has service available to the cabinet in the street outside your property and needs to lay a cable from there into your address. This process typically involves laying cabling along or under your access path or driveway and drilling a small hole in an external wall of the property, then installing a small internal socket to connect a router. 


If you live in a property where Hyperoptic is available, they already have their cabling laid inside your building or to a nearby access point. They'll need to drill a small hole in an internal wall to the corridor in order to connect your home to this network. It usually takes 3-4 days from an order being placed for this installation to be completed, but it can be scheduled further in advance than this. You can read more about this installation process here.  

    • Related Articles

    • How long does it take to set up internet at a new property?

      Setting up a new internet connection can take as long as 4 weeks, or as little as an hour depending on the infrastructure in place and the supplier you opt for. We've given some estimated time frames below, but your Please Connect Me agent will be ...
    • Why is my internet slow?

      Every internet package in the UK comes with an estimated average speed and a guaranteed minimum speed. Your home connection should be around the average speed most of the time, and shouldn't dip below the minimum guaranteed speed at all. If your ...
    • Do I need to cancel my current internet plan before placing a new order?

      No, you can place a new order without cancelling, If you are changing networks, for example switching to or away from Virgin Media or Hyperoptic, then you will need to cancel your service but you can do this at any time. You will usually need to give ...
    • What are the different kinds of internet connection available in the UK?

      This is a breakdown of the physical infrastructure of the most common types of home internet access in the UK; FTTC, FTTP, DSL/ADSL and Mobile Broadband.   FTTC - Superfast Fibre to the Cabinet   The majority of people in the UK get their internet ...
    • Do I need special equipment to watch Freeview TV?

      Any UK TV bought after 2010 will have a built in Freeview receiver. All you will need to do is connect your TV to a working aerial through the coaxial socket in your wall. Almost every property in the UK will have an aerial installed already. If ...