My building has a privately managed water supply

My building has a privately managed water supply

Water in buildings, particularly large apartment blocks, will sometimes be handled privately by the property management rather than by a public supplier. In this case, no registration should be necessary as this is the responsibility of the property owner. You should be billed for water usage each month, either as a separate bill delivered monthly to you or as part of an inclusive services bill. 

    • Related Articles

    • Why do I not have to register for water supply in Scotland?

      ​In Scotland, bills for water are included as part of your Council Tax payments and your water supply is managed by your local authority. 
    • My water isn't working

      ​Your water service should never be disconnected because of billing or registration issues. If you have no water supply, you should first contact your landlord or building management to check there is no maintenance being done at the property. ...
    • How am I charged for water?

      Your domestic water bill can be based on one of three values; your property’s rateable value, your assessed household charge or the readings from your water meter.   If you have a water meter fitted your bills will be initially based on an estimate ...
    • Why is my water bill for six months, and do I have to pay it every six months?

      Water suppliers in the UK bill on a six-monthly cycle. Your water supplier will issue your first bill with an estimated total for the six months, but you have a range of payment options available to you. Set up an online account using the account ...
    • My heating isn't working

      Your property should only be disconnected from the gas supply used for hot water and heating in an emergency, but when a property is empty the gas supply is sometimes capped to prevent it from being wasted. If you have just moved in and have no gas ...