How am I charged for water?

How am I charged for water?

Your domestic water bill can be based on one of three values; your property’s rateable value, your assessed household charge or the readings from your water meter.


If you have a water meter fitted your bills will be initially based on an estimate of your usage, and then adjusted each time your water supplier checks your meter. If your bill is higher than you would expect based on hbow much water you use,  you should contact your supplier to come and take a meter reading, they will then be able to adjust your bills to reflect your actual usage.


If your bill is based on your rateable value, your water bill is based on the value, size and location of your property. This can result in the highest monthly charges, so if this is the case you may want to contact your landlord to ask permission to have a water meter fitted. If you do not get permission, or this is impossible, your water supplier will move you to their assessed household charges. This will base your bills on the number of occupants of a property and can be better value, especially as there is a special discounted rate for single occupant properties. 

    • Related Articles

    • My water isn't working

      ​Your water service should never be disconnected because of billing or registration issues. If you have no water supply, you should first contact your landlord or building management to check there is no maintenance being done at the property. ...
    • My building has a privately managed water supply

      Water in buildings, particularly large apartment blocks, will sometimes be handled privately by the property management rather than by a public supplier. In this case, no registration should be necessary as this is the responsibility of the property ...
    • Why do I not have to register for water supply in Scotland?

      ​In Scotland, bills for water are included as part of your Council Tax payments and your water supply is managed by your local authority. 
    • Why is my water bill for six months, and do I have to pay it every six months?

      Water suppliers in the UK bill on a six-monthly cycle. Your water supplier will issue your first bill with an estimated total for the six months, but you have a range of payment options available to you. Set up an online account using the account ...
    • What is the 'cooling off period'?

      UK broadband providers are required to allow users to exit their contract without penalty up to 14 days after the service begins.  If you have any problems with your broadband service, let your provider know as soon as possible. They will try and ...